Root name servers not working in BIND 8.2?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Mar 21 00:56:45 UTC 2000

I suspect that your internal root servers may be occasionally returning
SERVFAIL. A quick comparison of the BIND 8.1.2 and BIND 8.2.2 source code
reveals that 8.1.2 seems to treat this occurrence as more of a temporary
error, and just retries, while 8.2.2 sets the "lame" flag on the
NS record cache entry and avoids the NS for a while, thus giving the
"lameness" more weight. You can disable lame server caching with
"lame-ttl 0" in your options, but I think you need to get to the cause of
the problem on the root servers.

I would troubleshoot the problem myself, except that it appears there is
some sort of routing problem or firewall rule blocking DNS access to
those servers even though we're on the same intranet...

- Kevin