Purging dynamic zones

Robert Weber Robert.Weber at Colorado.EDU
Thu Mar 23 18:20:23 UTC 2000

> --------
>
> > Robert Weber wrote:

*clip*
> > > --------
> > >
> > > In truth I would like to do it that way but since W2K requires that
> > > the "Active Direcory Servers" have the ability to make dynamic SRC
> > > records in the zone I cannot do that.  I need some way to batch remove
> > > all non-srv records so the zone isn't filled with bogus records.
> >
> > I suspected as much, which is why I added the caveat.
> >
 > Why not create separate zones for the SRV records? Last week, I heard some
 > discussion about possibly creating "_udp" and "_tcp" subzones, which would
  be
 > updateable by AD servers (since all SRV records have one of those as their
>  second
 > domain label). Then, the theory goes, you could keep the main (parent) zon
 > static. Of course, I haven't tried this, so I don't know if it's a good id
> ea or
> > not. But it might be worth a try.
> >

> > - Kevin

----------

This was M$'s suggestion as well but it is a nightmare when you try to
set up kerberos domains==DNS zones so we opted out of it.  I did find a
sort of solution using

nslookup

> ls -a					-- Cnames
> ls					-- A records
> ls -h					-- Hinfo
> ls -m					-- mx

and a perl script to check IP consistancy.

						Robert Weber
						UnixOps
						University of Colorado