round-robin and multi MX practicalities

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Mar 23 22:56:03 UTC 2000

In article <38DA9D8C.AC1AB4AB at daimlerchrysler.com>,
Kevin Darcy  <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
>Netscape 4.5 appears to do failover. Don't know about the others. In fact,
>Netscape 4.5 seems to *remember* the failing address -- after an initial pause,
>web accesses to the same round-robin name seem to occur at normal speeds (yes,
>I cleared my local cache while testing this, and I wasn't going through any
>proxies). Or maybe it's just my imagination...

Netscape has its own, internal address cache (so that when a page contains
image and/or frame links to other pages on the same server, it doesn't have
to do zillions of DNS lookups).  I think it caches addresses for 5 minutes
by default.

I'm happy to learn that it does failover.  Given that it does, it's not too
surprising that the address it caches is the one that it actually used.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com