Bind 8 listens to wrong IP address

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue May 2 03:03:05 UTC 2000

hostmaster at interaxs.net wrote:

> The box that I have installed Bind on has several addresses bound to the
> NIC. It listens to the primary address on the card, eventhough this is not
> the address for the ns server.
>
> I have tried the following in the options section of named.conf but it
> doesn't change anything. What am I overlooking and how can I have Bind
> listen on the correct address?
>
> listen-on port 53 {206.244.188.65;127.0.0.1;};
>
> The named.run file shows Bind listening on [206.244.181.230].53 and on
> [127.0.0.1].53

That syntax is OK, but I think I know what may be going on here. What command
line *exactly* are you using to start named? Due to a quirk in the way named
parses its command-line arguments, something like "named -d
/etc/named.conf.test" will cause named to use its default configuration file,
i.e. /etc/named.conf (the "/etc/named.conf.test" is misinterpreted as a
subargument to "-d"). To deal with this, use some other variation of the
command line, e.g. "named -d 1 /etc/named.conf.test".

It's hard to call this a "bug" since the man page clearly states that
"-d" takes a subargument. But for robustness, you'd think it would least flag
a NON-NUMERIC subargument since that is obviously invalid.