Same DN/IP for domain and DNS ok?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue May 2 20:17:56 UTC 2000

In article <ECoPOdB4gHo=WdQ3Ylqr0XUimKsG at 4ax.com>,
Dave Lers  <davelers at home.com> wrote:
>I have a working DNS and domain at dalrun.com/24.16.244.57. Due to the
>current GC mess I would like to act as my own primary and someone from
>the local LUG has offered to act as secondary. Will I have any problem
>w/ using the same DN/IP for domain and DNS, or with a reverse held by

I don't understand the question.  "domain" and "DNS" are the same thing,
aren't they?  Are you asking whether you can use the same machine as the
web server and nameserver?  Sure.

>my ISP? While I'm here how does my zone file look? ...Oh, do I need to
>fill out that host form at NS?

Yes, you'll need to fill out a host form at NSI, and then a Modify Domain
form to change the registration to point to your primary and secondary
servers instead of GC's servers.

You need the line:

$TTL 43200

before the SOA record.  The last field in the SOA record is no longer the
default_ttl, it's the ncache_ttl, and the $TTL directive specifies the
default TTL.

>@		IN	SOA	dalrun.com.	dave.dalrun.com. (
>			2000043003 ; serial
>			3600 ; refresh
>			900 ; retry
>			1209600 ; expire
>			43200 ; default_ttl
>			)
>@		IN	MX	5	dalrun.com.
>@		IN	NS	dalrun.com.
>
>@		IN	A	24.16.244.57
>www		IN	CNAME	dalrun.com.
>localhost		IN	A	127.0.0.1
>lynn		IN	A	192.168.0.1
>
>The secondary hasn't been setup yet and linuxconf won't let me get rid
>of lynn.

Once the secondary is set up you'll add an NS record for it, right?

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA