who hosts my domain name - my own nameserver? mini-isp...

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed May 3 01:34:07 UTC 2000

The whole point of the "two nameserver" requirement is redundancy. You'd almost
completely defeat the purpose if you ran both nameservers on the same box.

You may not value redundancy very much; after all, why should you care if your mail is
a little late arriving, right? But think about all of the various sites that may be
trying to *send* that mail. Some of them process hundreds of thousands, if not millions
or tens of millions of messages a day, and I can speak from experience that one of the
biggest headaches in managing a large mail site is all of the mail which gets stuck in
the queue because it cannot be delivered in a timely fashion. And in a large percentage
of cases, this is because the DNS lookups are failing. So please be a good net.citizen
and run a reliable DNS, if at all.

- Kevin