Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed May 3 23:53:57 UTC 2000

I can resolve both names, however there are some problems with delegation
of the zone: in-addr.arpa delegates 97.198.216.in-addr.arpa to
dns1.nrtc.net and dns2.nrtc.net, which answer queries in the zone
authoritatively, but they return only dns1.illicom.net and
dns2.illicom.net in the Authority Section, which apparently don't have
A records. So I theorize that for an external server to resolve any name
in this zone, it needs to generate at least 2 queries: 1 to the
in-addr.arpa servers to find the nrtc.net servers, and then 1 to the
nrtc.net servers to get the actual answer. The cached referral
information then gets blown away by the bogus NS records and so for the
next query in the zone, the nameserver has to start the whole process all
over again.

Perhaps this delegation bogosity is slowing down resolution of queries to
the point where the resolver occasionally times out?

- Kevin