Root servers

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Thu May 4 15:52:46 UTC 2000

> >Probably not very long - the root zone isn't terribly big (60K).
> >It's at ftp://ftp.rs.internic.net/domain/root.zone if you'd like a
> >look!
>
> A better question is how long the COM TLD takes to transfer.  My guess is
> that they don't use zone transfer for it, but instead use FTP or SCP to
> transfer the compressed com.zone.gz file.  A few years ago, when the
> com.zone.gz file was still in the above directory, it took me a couple of
> hours to download it, so I figure downloading the uncompressed file would
> have taken the better part of a day, and a zone transfer would be similar
> (perhaps only half as long, since there's lots of whitespace in the file,
> zone transfers just transfer the names and binary data for the other
> fields).

My understanding is that com takes about eight hours
to transfer to the com slave in Hong Kong.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.