is ip address or name the authoritative record in domain registration??

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue May 9 16:38:29 UTC 2000

In article <3917B140.153 at y.z.com>,
!! Tonnere de Brest <see at below.vix.com> wrote:
>When you register a domain name, you enter the ip address and name of
>the name server that has the records for your domain. What happens if
>the company hosting your domain in their name server records changes the
>tcp/ip address of their name server?

Assuming it's a domain whose delegation is configured by InterNIC, they
have to submit a Modify Host form to NSI to get the Host entry changed.
The Host entry is translated to an A record on the root or gTLD servers,
and it will often take precedence over the A record on the server for the
host company's domain itself.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA