Q: Ip of other Domain

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue May 9 22:32:24 UTC 2000

Peter Naber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i have a problem. How can i integrate one IP Address of another Domain.
>
> Example:
> We have the domain company.com with the DNS Server dns.company.com
> Also it exists a domain othercompany.com with the DNS Server
> dns.othercompany.com.
> The dns.othercompany.com doesn`t know the address for the server
> intra.othercompany.com but our proxy (squid) needs the address of
> intra.othercompany.com.
> If I create a "zone master othercompany" squid could resolv the name but
> all other hosts of the othercompany.com doesn`t resolved.

You could create a zone just for intra.othercompany.com, but a better
long-term plan might be to find out how "othercompany" does its name
resolution and somehow hook into that using forward/slave/stub zones or
whatever. Today it's just "intra", but tomorrow it may be "intra2",
"search", "ldap", "ftp", "smtp" -- do you really want to be creating
separate zones (which break every time they move IP addresses) for every
single intranet name they have?