Zone tranfers no longer work after upgrading to 8.2.2-P5

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed May 10 08:41:34 UTC 2000

    Cedo> Hello, I've recently upgraded to bind8.2.2-P5 on a slave DNS
    Cedo> box.  I'm no longer receiving zone transfer from the master
    Cedo> which is still running bind8.1.2.  Can someone give me some
    Cedo> clues on how I can go about debugging this issue or what the
    Cedo> problem may be.

Try running the zone transfers by hand from the slave server. [Run
named-xfer directly or get dig to ask for an axfr record for the zone
from the master server. Turn up the debugging as you do this.] If you
don't get connected, then there's probably a routing problem or an
access control list on a router/firewall that's blocking the traffic.
If a connection is made to the master server, then the problem lies
there. The most likely cause will be errors in the zone file which
prevent the master server loading it. Or maybe you've set up an access
control list on the server which prevents the slave from doing zone
transfers. Perhaps you've screwed up the SOA record serial number and
the slave has a higher one than the master? Pay close attention to the
logs on both servers. There should be error messages in the logs which
indicate the source of the problem.