Master and slave servers

Daniel Graf root at 127.0.0.1
Thu May 11 17:00:36 UTC 2000

On 11 May 2000 09:38:14 -0700, "mike at snix"
<mmullins at infinitycomputer.com> wrote:

>I have two DNS servers running on RedHat 6.1.  I have one acting as the
>primary and one as the secondary.  I have the secondary pointing to the
>primary as a slave.  If the primary goes down, will the slave serve the DNS?
>Or do I need to have the files located on the secondary and set ip up as a
>master as well?
>
>Thanks for any help.

Maybe I don't understand you.  This is the whole point of a secondary
server.

The secondary server should attempt to contact the primary every
REFRESH seconds to update it's (the secondary's) records.  If a
refresh fails, it (the secondary) attempts every RETRY seconds.  The
secondary will continue to privide the information until EXPIRE
seconds have passed.  Expire is usually rather large.  Say, a week or
month or so.  So you're primary can be down for a month and the
secondary will still be serving the last known good zone info.