Renaming the nameserver

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu May 11 23:55:17 UTC 2000

In article <8ffetn$m53$1 at supernews.com>,
Gary Jessop <admin at lovefinder.co.uk> wrote:
>I have running bind 4 on suse 6.2 and have my computer set up permanently on
>the internet.
>When I do a local nslookup of any records at 212.67.201.174 - It returns the
>name of the nameserver as ns.wulfrun.net - I am trying to rename this
>nameserver to ns1.wulfrun.net
>
>I'm doing this because when I do a lookup on host 212.67.201.174 with
>network solutions, it is throwing ns1.wulfrun.net back at me (I believe this
>means that it is registered).
>
>I believe I need to change /etc/named.boot but I'm sure there are a few
>other files that I need to change.
>Does anyone know which files need changing ?

There are no hostnames in named.boot.

You need to have the administrator of the 201.67.212.in-addr.arpa zone
change the line:

174 IN PTR  ns.wulfrun.net.

to:

174 IN PTR  ns1.wulfrun.net.

You also need to update your domain at Granite Canyon to include the
following A record:

ns1  IN A  212.67.201.174

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA