Advise Requested regarding serial number for DDNS

Brian Keves - NCS UAI Contractor keves at synopsys.com
Fri May 12 00:15:37 UTC 2000

Using Bind 8.2.2-P5 on Solaris 7 for Primary and all Secondary servers.

We are transitioning from a hosts2ns style zone load to Dynamic DNS across
the board, but during the transition period we are going to have both.
Which means I need to be able to run hosts2ns to auto generate our main
domain and accept Dynamic Updates after this point as well.

I can do this, but I have found a problem which I need some advise on.
Each Dynamic Update seems to increment the serial number for the zone
and I'm going to run out of serial numbers fast using the current
strategy:

                                2000051100      ; Serial
;                               YYYYMMDDCC      ; Year, Month, Day, Count

Any advise on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated, and please
don't just say "don't mix static and dynamic". That isn't a possibility
for us. We have to keep everything in the same domain. I have all of
the problems for this worked out, except for this last one.

Is there a limit to the number of digits I can use for the serial number?
Can I just make it:

                                2000051100000      ; Serial
;                               YYYYMMDDCCCCC      ; Year, Month, Day, Count

Thanks In Advance,

Brian
Brian Keves                    E-Mail:   keves at synopsys.com
Senior Unix Architect          Phone:    +1.650.584.4461
Network Computing Services     Cell:     +1.650.333.1223 #112
Synopsys, Inc.                 Fax:      +1.650.584.4343
700 East Middlefield Road      WWW:      http://www.synopsys.com
M/S C-11                       Physical: C1.136A
Mountain View, CA 94043-4033   "Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand