Is there a limit on the number of IP addresses to a name?

Susan Casserino tribunes at kodak.com
Thu May 4 18:10:22 UTC 2000

A problem was reported to me that lead me to an interesting question.
Is there a limit to how many IP addresses can be assigned to one name?

I found 3 different nslookup/resolver scenarios with our UNIX systems
and resolvers.  They are all running Solaris, but are at different
patch levels.

Our forwarders and external DNS servers are successful with both
nslookup & resolving.  They are running Quadritek QDDNS 4.9.7
and QIP DDNS Server (BIND 8.1.2) respectively.

Our internal DNS servers fail on both nslookup & resolving.  They are
running QIP DDNS Server (BIND 8.1.2).

An internal desktop using the internal DNS servers can resolve, but
not do a nslookup.

The name I'm looking at is kodak.photonet.com, it has 34 IP's.  I used
http://www.demon.net/external/ntools.shtml to examine the data of
the specific host and that will give you "???" on the 31st entry.
I don't know why there would be a need to use so many addresses, but
regardless of why, it raised a valid question.

Please feel free to respond directly back to me.

Susan Casserino <tribunes at kodak.com>
Eastman Kodak Company
Global DNS Administration