[Q] Unusual DNS configuration. Help needed.

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri May 5 14:37:27 UTC 2000

In article <3912576C.499F3106 at allsolutions.com.au>,
David May  <David_May at allsolutions.com.au> wrote:

>We currently have a fairly simple DNS configuration for our company
>private network + Internet.
>
>Now I have just installed a dial-up connection to a customer's private
>network.  Access is permitted through a firewall to selected hosts
>such as private Web servers, etc, but no access to their internal DNS.
>They have a public DNS server for resolving their public hosts such as
>Internet mail server, etc.
>
>I want to configure our DNS to be able to resolve the set of hosts we
>are allowed to access on their internal network.  But I still want to
>be able use their public DNS server for everything else, such as email.

Create separate zones on your DNS server for each internal host you need to
resolve, e.g. in named.conf put:

zone "intranet.them.com" {
  type master;
  file "db.intranet.them.com";
}

and then in db.intranet.them.com put:

@ SOA ...
  NS  ns.you.com.
  A   <address of their intranet web server>

For each host, you'll have a separate db.<hostname> file like this and a
"zone" statement in named.conf.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA