Sys log question.

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue May 16 03:53:34 UTC 2000

    Gary> Hi, Could I get some help with this?

    Gary> 14-May-2000 23:54:50.000  XX+/209.147.72.35/egroups.com\032/MX/IN

    Gary> I think I know most of what this line is telling me but what
    Gary> does the part "\032" mean?

It's extraneous junk on the MX query sent by 209.147.72.35. In other
words something on that host is looking up the wrong name. It's either
looking up "egroups.com\032" or else "egroups.comK" where K is the
character that's 032 in octal presumably. Or maybe decimal or hex. I
can't be bothered reading the query logging code to find out.

    Gary> BTW. The reason I am looking at this is my mail server is
    Gary> having trouble sending mail to egroups.com.

Given the above, it would seem that your mail server is looking up
something other than that name in the DNS. Get a packet sniffer to
look at the mail server's DNS queries. Check what's in the message
headers and/or mail system's control and queue files for this
domain. Perhaps they contain the extra (unprintable?) character or
"\032" string?