Desperate measures: hidden subzone

Karma Crayona karmac at my-deja.com
Tue May 16 15:04:46 UTC 2000

I would like a nameserver (publicNS) of a zone (visible-to-world.net) to
be the only point of contact to the rest of the world.  That nameserver
would then use selective zone forwarding to query the nameserver
(secretNS) of the subzone (hidden.visible-to-world.net) and return the
answer to the client.  The client should never know about the
delegation.  The named.conf file of publicNS.visible-to-world.net would
look like this:

zone "hidden.visible-to-world.net" in {
type forward;
forward only;
forwarders { secretns.visible-to-world.net; };
};

My dilemna: If I don't put an NS RR delegating the subzone, publicNS
assumes it's authoritative for the entire domain and does not see
anything in the hidden subzone.  If I do put the NS RR, the world will
know about secretNS.

Does anyone know of a way to delegate a subzone without publishing it?

--
Karma C.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.