DNS reverse lookup

Martin marty1110 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 16 17:23:38 UTC 2000

Hi,
I am writing a program to examine a web servers log file. If the
web server has the option for resolving the IP address off, as
with Apache 1.3 default. Then I am faced with the problem of
resolving the IP address into a host name, thus I want to do a
reverse DNS lookup. I am writing this program in Java. So
1/ Is it possible to do a reverse DNS in Java code.
2/ I have tried the following code, and it does not work –

InetAddress r;
       String s;

       try {                // use the address you are concerned
with
           r = InetAddress.getByName("192.122.98.61");
           s = r.getHostName();
           System.out.println(s);

           }

           catch (UnknownHostException e)
           {
                System.out.println(e);
           }

3/ If it is not possible, how else can I do it?. I have tried to
use Windows NT’s  -
nslookup <ipaddress>.in-addr.arpa
and this doesn’t work either! Has this anything to do with the
fact that I am behind a firewall??
Martin.

--Posted from EarthWeb Discussions. http://discussions.earthweb.com