Enterprise DNS/DHCP solutions...

parker at bctm.com parker at bctm.com
Tue May 16 19:27:25 UTC 2000

Hi, folks,

We're looking at implementing an enterprise DDNS/DHCP package. Current
considerations include things like:

- Nortel NetID
- Lucent QIP
- Checkpoint MetaIP
- Cisco Network Registrar (is this even offered anymore? Can't find it
  in their catalogue)
- anything else?

Issues we have are two sites geographically far apart separated by a
high speed but high latency wan connection. We have roughly
1,500 addresses at each site, 800 or 900 or so on DHCP at each site.
Features we think we need are:

- single point control for both sites, both for DNS and DHCP management
- dynamic DNS updates from DHCP servers
- single DNS name space shared by both sites
- support for different DHCP address ranges at each site
- ability to survive a WAN outage with full DHCP/DDNS support
  continuing to operate - I presume this means a master/slave DDNS
  configuration will not work
- FULL support for Windows 2000 - we will not be running the Win 2k
  native DNS services
- support for standard Bind would be great.
- platform support for Solaris 2.6, 2.7, etc. (this'll run on Sun boxes)

I've seen one or two notes regarding NetID on this list, responses seem
positive.

I'd really appreciate hearing from people who have used any of the above
applications, or have done a similar evaluation. We hope to implement
something within 2 months, perhaps sooner.

Thanks!

Ross
--
Ross Parker            |      UNIX Sys Admin, Perl and C,
Systems/Network Admin  |        Networking and security
parker at bctm.com        | highly selective about who it makes friends WITH!