Bug? - Undetected Syntax Error

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Thu May 18 13:59:00 UTC 2000

I am running BIND 8.2.2-P5 on Solaris 5.6 .  In my Win2k test network
I wanted to test dynamic updates from one specific Win2k box, so I added
this line to the two zone statements (forward and reverse):

     allow-update(192.168.1.23);

BIND did not complain about the statement, but it did not allow updates
from that node.  I rechecked the BIND book, and I changed the statement

     allow-update{192.168.1.23};

and BIND complained about a syntax error.  I added the missing ";"

     allow-update{192.168.1.23;};

and dynamic updates were allowed.  Is it a bug in BIND that it did not
complain about my original line that had parentheses instead of braces?
Thanks.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov