Reverse DNS and RFC 2317

John Coutts administrator at yellowhead.com
Thu May 18 15:33:36 UTC 2000

As far as you providing services to the outside world, there is no problem. The
problem occurs when you (or anyone on your network) wants to access services
that require a domain or node name verification. These include some educational
institutions, some download sites, and many email servers (including ours). To
protect against spammers using ficticious return addresses to access the mail
server directly, the server does a reverse lookup on the the sending IP to
verify that the domain name corresponds to the domain name in the return
address. If it doesn't, it returns the email. Since implementing this feature,
spam of this type has dropped to zero at our location.

J.A. Coutts
Systems Engineer
Edsonet/TravPro
In article <01BFC074.F2F44FA0.gwardell at Yeshua.cc>, gwardell at Yeshua.cc says...