granitecanyon - unauthorized AXFR

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu May 18 18:45:28 UTC 2000

In article <20000518202646.A966 at HAL9000.jupiter.space>,
Maurizio Cimaschi  <mcc at iol.it> wrote:
>On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 02:25:34PM +0000, ftheisen at my-deja.com wrote:
>> lisafrank.net.   IN  A  24.0.163.110
>> ; alias for the canonical names
>> main     IN  CNAME lisafrank.net.
>> www      IN  CNAME main
>> ftp      IN  CNAME main
>
>Think you should change www & ftp records in
>
>www	IN	CNAME 	lisafrank.net.
>ftp	IN	CNAME	lisafrank.net.
>
>AFAIK there's must be no CNAME on the right side.

Chains of CNAMEs *are* allowed.  RFC 1034 section 3.6.2 says "CNAME chains
should be followed", and the algorithm in section 4.3.2 will do so
automatically (when it encounters a CNAME, it simply restarts the algorithm
using the name it points to).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA