Multiple TLD's

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri May 19 07:52:41 UTC 2000

    Steve> Please forgive me if I ask silly questions. I am new to DNS
    Steve> and need to learn fast. I am trying to set up a nameserver
    Steve> that will be used for parking domain names. All the names
    Steve> will be parked to one IP address. I have set it up as
    Steve> follows and it seems to work ok. Am I on the right track?

No. The zone data you showed is correct, save for one major flaw.
Unless you're completely isolated from the Internet, you should not be
setting up a name server that is authoritative for the root zone. This
will just break everything that does a DNS lookup: web browsing, mail,
etc, etc. Anyone who queries that server sees your root zone, not the
Internet's. This means those users can't see the Internet. The next
problem is that the rest of the world can't see your name server or
its name space, so nobody can lookup your names unless they directly
query your name server. Since nobody else knows about your server,
that simply won't happen.

What you need to do is register each domain with the appropriate
registry and then add zone{} statements for each of them to at least
two name servers: one master (primary) and one slave (seconday). For
instance, if you don't register domain.de with the .de name servers
nobody else but you will know about that domain. Y'see the rest of the
world will lookup domain.de by asking the .de name servers and if they
say they don't know about domain.de or don't point those lookups at
your name servers for domain.de....