Dynamic DNS Server question

Matt Godden matt at iglobalsales.com
Sun May 21 06:21:15 UTC 2000

I assume you're talking about mapping dynamic dns addresses to a static host
and domain name. To accomplish this you need to start off by setting your
TTL to something reasonable for automatic updating (1 sec. is as good as 2).
Then, lets talk about updating these records from a web interface... I am
the President of www.dnspointer.com  (a service just like this for free).
What we do...

1) Populate a MySQL database from the web with a CGI script
2) Run server-side script to run through and take records from the MySQL
database and populate/modify them into the BIND zone file
3) Re-hash BIND

How does someone update... Easy! We've written a seamless CGI that takes a
persons username and password from a GET header, updates the MySQL db and
then forwards them on to their start page. So, they basically don't even
notice they're updating the record.

Sorry if this is cryptic.

If you have any questions e-mail me at matt at iglobalsales.com

Matt Godden