Network Solutions Misery

Ron Tipton uther at tns.utk.edu
Mon May 22 12:46:49 UTC 2000

> > and it's not "it took a little hassle to do a domain name change"
> > they REFUSE to do a domain name change - they do not return phone
> > call - they do not return e-mail.  they have said we CANNOT
> > change our domain name and we CANNOT get another domain name!
> >

> Have they stated a reason why? And isnt there some arbitration process
> to escalate to ICANN? I know that may be lengthy but my experience with
> NSI is that you have to go thru all the motions no matter what, escalate
> ,etc.

their policy is that one school can only have one domain name, or maybe
two.  they don't say how they make the "one or two" decision.  at any
rate they just said we couldn't have another and have ignored all other
contact from us.  this is not a problem that is unique to the university
of tennessee but is wide spread within the academic community.

EDUCAUSE has petitioned ICANN to take over the edu namespace from NSI
but i have no idea what is happening on that front.  if there is some
arbitration process i am unaware of it.  i'd love to know what we can
do to resolve this problem.