NSLint and PTR Record

David Cost dcost at post.com
Mon May 22 20:23:07 UTC 2000

Thanks. When I try to create a PTR record using standard syntax for a
PTR record in the zone NSLINT rejects it. I was hoping someone may have
in fact successfully created a PTR record at Granite that worked for
them and did not get rejected by NSLINT.

If I use nslookup it would appear the reverse domain resolves back to my
ISP's server, (I was unaware that I had to do something special with the
ISP whenever their DHCP Server reassigns an IP address every few months,
thanks for pointing this out).

The main problem that I am trying to overcome is the fact that because
most large ISP's will not accept mail from an SMTP server unless they
can complete a reverse lookup, I thought that I just needed a PTR record
that would at least resolve "some" server. Even if it resolves back to
my ISP's server instead of mine, it may at least still enable me to send
mail simply because there is a PTR record that resolves.

"Barry Margolin" <barmar at genuity.net> wrote in message
news:QRfW4.28$sR4.2281 at burlma1-snr2...
> In article <MPG.13926447c52279a6989683 at news.telusplanet.net>,
> David Cost <dcost at post.com> wrote:
> >I'm trying to create a PTR (reverse-lookup) record in zone data for our
> >mail server in a Granite Canyon Zone. As their example does not include
> >a PTR record, I'm wondering if anyone has done this and had it work
> >sucessfully? If so, an example would be much appreciated.
>
> It's no different from any other domain, except that the records you type
> in are PTR records rather than A and MX records.
>
> The only difference is how you "register" the reverse domain.  Instead of
> going through a registrar like you do for .com domains, you contact the
ISP