Bind-8 directory usage

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at world.std.com
Tue May 23 15:08:15 UTC 2000

Thank you for your responses.

Well, now that we've "established" that this is "possible," my
question is "is this desirable?"

Part of why I'm asking here is that at a previous usergroup
meeting, I mentioned putting nameserver configs someplace
besides /var & was nearly fed to the sharks...  :)
What was said was along the lines of "everyone else puts it in
/var, so you probably should, too..."  ("Everyone else" meaning
Solaris, HP-UX, Linux FSStnd...)

But I have some books from who I'd guess are Very Respected
Authors :), & one of them puts these in, for example
/var/domain.  (!)

The approach I'm exploring is to put system-configuration things
*I* do into /etc & things that "it" ("the system" or named or
"things retrieved/downloaded, such as named-xfers of
secondaries") into /var, on the semi-assumption that /var can be
(somewhat) "sacrificial" & that I take more aggressive measures
to preserve /etc.

Also, IIRC, the named documentation & books do not make it clear
that (well, at least to me :) the "directory" option only means
"default directory" & that explicit paths can be specified on
the zone stanzas.  Perhaps I did not dig deep enough, though...

Again, thank you for your advice & input.

-kc

And Barry Margolin wrote:

>From barmar at gtei.net  Wed May 17 12:33:34 2000
>Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:31:14 GMT