Multiple DNS Forwards

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed May 24 22:25:35 UTC 2000

In article <rYVW4.77$Ag6.15703 at sapphire.mtt.net>,
Dave Walsh <dave_j_walsh at keane.com> wrote:
>Below is the content of my original question and the answer (from the BIND
>archives). Your solution worked great. However, our partner company has now
>expanded or decentralized and they also have more than just partner.com
>names to resolve. They now have hal.us.partnerco.com. I tried putting in
>another entry in my named.conf, but it doesn't seem to resolve hosts in
>hal.us.partnerco.com, but partner.com does still work.

You have a number of syntax errors in the named.conf file.  I'm surprised
they didn't result in warning messages in your log.  You *did* check the
log before posting, didn't you?

All the errors are missing semicolons.  named.conf syntax isn't like C
syntax; curly braces don't automatically delimit statements, so you need to
put semicolons (;) after the last brace in a statement.  The missing
semicolons apparently caused large chunks of the configuration file to be
ignored.

>** NOTE: I CAN RESOLVE HOSTS IN PARTNER.COM
>
>zone "partner.com" {
>
>type forward;
>
>forward only;
>
>forwarders { 158.138.120.22; }

You need a semicolon at the end of the above line.

>}

You need a semicolon here too.

>** NOTE: I CAN'T RESOLVE HOSTS IN HAL.US.PARTNERCO.COM
>
>zone "hal.us.partnerco.com" {
>
>type forward;
>
>forward only;
>
>forwarders { 158.138.120.22; }