DNS records not updating consistently...

Paul H. Yoshimune paul at yoshimune.com
Wed May 24 23:46:30 UTC 2000

I'm having an odd problem with my DNS I'm hoping someone can help me with.  In
a nutshell, I've had BIND 8.2.2-P5 up and running on a Solaris 7/x86 machine
for quite some time, and had no problems to speak of.  I semi-recently (couple
of months ago) had to change the IP address of my machine.  I made the
requisite changes, updated the host information, etc., and everything seemed to
be fine.  About 3 weeks ago, I had two or three people complaining that they
couldn't get email to me sometimes.  It was an inconsistent problem, isolated
to a few people, so I never got to find out what the problem was.

Now, it's hit more and more people, but still intermittently.  I finally found
someone who could reproduce the problem with me on the phone, so I had them do
the usual telnet to port 25, traceroute, etc.  Turns out, they were trying to
get to my old IP address, which has since been reallocated to someone else
running a Linux box.  So, mystery solved - mail was bouncing because it was
trying to be delivered through someone else's machine.

But the problem still remains - many nameservers are giving out the old DNS
information, for reasons I don't understand.  There are two authoritative
nameservers for my domain (yoshimune.com), and when queried, both return the
correct information.  But, some other machines have this good information, and
some just have the old stuff.  Any ideas?  I'm at wits end on this one...

Details:

domain: yoshimune.com
host in question: blade.yoshimune.com
nameservers: ns.yoshimune.com (blade.yoshimune.com)
             ns.handmadesw.com (gatekeeper.handmadesw.com)

Correct IP address for blade.yoshimune.com: 216.233.202.34
Old IP address for blade.yoshimune.com: 207.251.139.130

An nslookup from blade reveals:

[paul at blade]% nslookup blade.yoshimune.com
Server:  blade.yoshimune.com
Address:  216.233.202.34

Name:    blade.yoshimune.com
Address:  216.233.202.34

And from gatekeeper reveals:

[paul at blade]% nslookup blade.yoshimune.com ns.handmadesw.com
Server:  gatekeeper.handmadesw.com
Address:  206.40.77.202

Name:    blade.yoshimune.com
Address:  216.233.202.34

Both are correct.  But, when querying other nameservers, such as Verio's (where
gatekeeper used to be hosted), I get:

[paul at blade]% nslookup blade.yoshimune.com 204.247.247.10
Server:  cdns1.ncal.verio.net
Address:  204.247.247.10

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    blade.yoshimune.com
Address:  207.251.139.130

Again, any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks...
--
Paul H. Yoshimune
paul at yoshimune.com
http://www.yoshimune.com/