install bind problem

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Thu May 25 01:25:45 UTC 2000

> Dear all,
>
> I have just upgrade bind from 4.9 to 8.2.2-5. My server is a second NDS
> server.
>
> More problem found, as
> #nslookup tafe.nsw.edu.au
> Server:  localhost
> Address:  127.0.0.1
>
> *** localhost can't find tafe.nsw.edu.au: Non-existent host/domain

	If you turn on debugging in nslookup you will see that nslookup
	has failed somewhere in its search list.

	My bet is that there are errors in the zone file for one of the
	zones in the search list.  This will cause named to return SERVFAIL
	and the search to be abandoned.

	dig does not use search lists.

	Mark

--