Resolving CNAMEs when pointing to another domain

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon May 8 16:12:26 UTC 2000

In article <4.3.1.2.20000508113236.053e95b0 at bigsky.intranetics.com>,
G. Del Merritt <dmerritt at intranets.com> wrote:
to >The fly in the ointment is/(may be) that lbnamed isn't a recursive server,
>and it's only authoritative for "mydomain.com".  It's also the case that it
>currently generates RRs only in the answer section, and not in the
>authority or additional records sections.  I'm not sure if it's one of
>these facts or a combination of both that is giving resolvers fits.
>
>Since I clear the "Recursion Available" bit when my servers respond, I
>would have hoped that the nameserver or resolving calling my servers
>directly would iterate.  It sort of looks like they aren't.  Something
>about the way nslookup pokes the ISP server, though, is sufficient to get
>information in place.

Most resolvers (including the one built into nslookup) are "stub
resolvers", which means that they never perform iteration by themselves.
They send the query to a local nameserver and expect it to recurse.  Since
lbnamed isn't a recursive server, you shouldn't point to it in your
/etc/resolv.conf.

But this shouldn't cause a problem for normal use of your domain.
Resolvers should point to caching nameservers, which will do the
appropriate iteration that your CNAME records require.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA