help with secondary

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Fri May 26 02:04:21 UTC 2000

> whats the point to secondary if all my machines are on one network
> anyways..

	Because sometimes just the answers in the DNS are what is
	required.  Also most ISP's offer secondary service for their
	customers so in general there is no reason not the have a off
	site secondary.  There are also sites that provide secondary
	services for free.

> that is to say if my primary goes down then my web machines will 99% of
> the time be down aswell.
>
> it seems to me (in my case atleast) that the secondary nameserver is
> just that much more to worry about.

	Well you are forgetting the case where the nameserver daemon
	has fallen over but the web server hasn't.  Having a secondary
	allows you to continue offering services.  There are plenty of
	advantages to having a secondary that are not necessarily obvious
	at first glance.

> is there any techniques that would make the secondary automatically
> update from the primary.
> i have no time/energy :) to update both manually (....lazy)

	Once a secondary is configured it will automatically transfer
	the zone contents when ever you update the master provided you
	remember to update the serial number for the zone.

	This assumes you don't have a syntax error in the zone file
	because named will refuse to allow outgoing zone transfers if
	it detects a error.  Check your logs after each update (even
	if you don't have a secondary).

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.