local "in-house" domain, sorry to ask a dumb question

ryanbooz at alumni.psu.edu ryanbooz at alumni.psu.edu
Mon May 8 15:03:03 UTC 2000

Hey folks,

Sorry to ask what I think is a dumb question.  I've been reading the
DNS-HowTo and looking at a number of other documents, but I'm still
really confused about something and just want a point in the right
direction.  I teach at a school and am working with some kids on web
servers.  Obviously we can get to the webserver if we use the IP address
for that server.

Now, what I'd like to do have the DNS server (cacheing-only at the
moment) I have resolve the hostname of that server to its address.  I
guess I just don't understand how it resolvs names or what domain I need
to specify.  In my "hosts" file, I have an entry for each machine that I
would like to be able to resolve to.  So if I ping any of the names, it
resovles it and pings away.  However, if I try to use HTTP to get to
that name, it doesn't go.  I thought that the DNS, because of the
"host.conf" file was to look at the "hosts" file first and then go to
the internet.

So, if I have a hosts file that looks like this:

192.168.0.1 	server
192.168.0.2	server2

I can ping their name and get the address.  What do I have to do to get
DNS to resolve these names also without searching outside for them,
where there obviously isn't a listing.

Thanks for the help.  I'm sorry if I should have been able to find this.

Ryan Booz
Belleville Mennonite School Tech Coordinator

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.