Newbie Question: Nameservers and Domain Names

Dave Lers dave at dalrun.com
Fri May 26 17:49:17 UTC 2000

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Jason Mowat wrote:

> ***I am assuming that I have to go somewhere online, and let Interknit (or
> someone) know that 123.123.123.123 is going to be a primary domain
> controller, and will have an IP address of 123.123.123.123, and that I want
> to call it NS1.mydomain.com.***

Once you setup your DNS email dotster about registering it.

> The second question is that I was also thinking of running my mail server on
> my DNS server (I only have a single free box).  Now, is this acceptable?
> The domain is going to be very small (just a web server needs domain
> access).  And, can I call the name server whatever I want (like
> anysystem.mydomain.com) and still register it with whoever

You can do a lot w/ a single box/IP. You can run a mailserver on your box and
you do not need to register it, you do need an MX record in the zone file for
your domain.

> With a single system, I will not have a secondary DNS server.

You will need to list a slave when you register your domain.

You might start w/ a free DNS service such as GC or CIS, you can also use them
for slaves when you have your master up and running.
http://www.centralinfo.net/
http://soa.granitecanyon.com/

See also the DNS HOWTO
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html