bind-8.2.2-p5 not listening on any interfaces

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri May 26 19:13:30 UTC 2000

First of all, have you verified whether something *is* actually listening
on port 53? Try "netstat -a".

If something is listening, it could be that it is something other than a
"named" process, although this is somewhat unlikely. I assume the "lsof"
utility or something is available on Red Hat 5.2, is it not? This may help
you track down the culprit.

If nothing is listening on port 53, then it would appear that you have
stumbled on a Linux kernel/sockets bug, a BIND bug, or possibly your
"named" binary wasn't built correctly (I'm assuming that you built BIND
yourself since 8.2.2-p5 is much much newer than Red Hat 5.2).

There wouldn't be any socket files to delete, since named is complaining
specifically about port 53 on network addresses, not any control socket.

- Kevin