Refusing queries

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri May 26 19:15:20 UTC 2000

pete at raventech.com wrote:

> I have a couple companies who have mistyped domain names of a company
> they deal with.  Problem, I keep getting bounced mails for users that
> don't exist.  Couple solutions: Rewrite the domain in sendmail and let
> it go.  The one I went with was to just stop authorizing for the
> domain, we dont use it anyway.   By doing so it looks like the servers
> will not update their cache due to the non-authorizing.
>
> What is the proper way to refuse queries or get an update to the cache,
> so that mail bounces with a non-existant domain.
>
> Thanks,

What I did for "diamlerchrysler.com" and "daimlerchrylser.com" was just
define those master zones on my servers, with nothing but bare minimum
components, i.e. SOA and NS records. Since there are no A or MX records in
the zones, any query of one of those types gets an authoritative
NXDOMAIN response.

(In case anyone was wondering, no, I do not *serve* those domains
externally, so I'm not "polluting" DNS with bogus information.)