multihomed name servers, need verification/help...

Demian Hanks demian at csbs.utah.edu
Sun May 28 17:14:34 UTC 2000

There
and i wanted to verify that I understand the correct way to
do this for a multihomed name server.
(http://www.isc.org/ml-archives/bind-users/2000/01/msg00660.html)

I have 2 name servers ns1 & ns2, and this is what the zone files look like:

db.mydomain:
	IN	NS	ns1.mydomain.com.
	IN	NS	ns2.mydomain.com.

ns1	IN	A	10.1.1.10
	IN	A	10.1.1.11
ns10	IN	A	10.1.1.10
ns11	IN	A	10.1.1.11

ns2	IN	A	10.1.1.20
	IN	A	10.1.1.21
ns20	IN	A	10.1.1.20
ns21	IN	A	10.1.1.21

1.1.10.in-addr.arpa.:
	IN	NS	ns1.mydomain.com.
	IN	NS	ns2.mydomain.com.

10	IN	PTR	ns1.mydomain.com.
11	IN	PTR	ns1.mydomain.com.
20	IN	PTR	ns2.mydomain.com.
21	IN	PTR	ns2.mydoamin.com.

If i understand this right, a lookup of ns1.mydomain.com will return
10.1.1.10 & 10.1.1.11
while a lookup of .10 or .11 will return ns1.mydomain.com.
I can't see any future issues with this, but then again I only deal with
dns once in a while.

I know that multiple PTRs is not recommended, but isn't this the best
way to deal w/ hosts multihomed to the same subnet?

The hosts are multihomed to the same network for redundancy, I am aware
that this leaves an availability issue for this network, but that is addressed
with HSRP on the router. Also, I am using the ns10 & ns11 addresses, just to
resolve to each interface.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Demian