Docs on Dynamic Updates

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Wed Nov 1 14:02:39 UTC 2000

Tom Combs wrote:

> We are planning on upgrading the Windows side of the house to Win2000
> and I need to get up to speed on dynamic updates.  I've poked around
> in the 8.2.2p5 source doc tree a at isc.org but haven't seen anything
> as a very obvious source of informtation.  Can someone please recommend
> a good source?   Thanks.

Search the archives of this list at isc.org.  You will find postings
stating that once a BIND zone is authorized for DDNS, then the zone
must NOT be updated via an editor; the nsupdate utility must be used.
And once a DDNS update has been completed on a zone, the zone file on
disk will no longer have any comment lines, nor will the zone entries
be in an order that is obvious.

The only doc I know about is the man page for nsupdate.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov