Maybe old one: DNS request by Win9x Clients and Linux Server

Martin Köhling mk at lw1.cc-computer.de
Fri Nov 3 16:11:10 UTC 2000

Hi!

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Sebastian Georgi CAPITA wrote:

> So in a heterogenous network with a Linux Server, acting as a
> nameserver(bind), and several Win9x Clients, I noticed that bind does
> dialouts almost every 5-10 minutes. Due to /var/log/messages there is a
> request on the DNS-Port from the server itself, everytime ANY name has to be
> resolved in the network (e.g. Winlogon, Telnet xserver, etc..). So you can
> imagine that telephone costs are skyrocketing right now in auto dialmode.

Did you set up a "local" zone with A records for *all* clients
in the network?
Did you set up a corresponding reverse (in-addr.arpa) zone?

You might want to add something like this to your named.conf file
to find out what queries are really made:

logging {
channel query_log {
        file "query_log";
        severity info;