Proposed [sub 2] new operational mode for primary master

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Nov 5 02:51:17 UTC 2000

At 06:10 AM 11/4/00 +0000, wallewek at kmsi.net wrote:
>Yes, all these things can be worked around.  Why work around a workaround
>when a clean design lets you do it right?

		I'll make just one response to this string.  There's nothing clean about
your
  design.  You need to be thinking architecturally.

		The proper way of dealing with this is to have your External Provider
  manage the external top-level domain, say mycompany.com, for which he is
  authorative.  Then you set up your own subdomain, say
internal.mycompany.com,
  that the External Provider need know nothing about.  You set up your
internal
  BIND servers to be authorative about this subdomain and have everyone point
  to the master and some slaves of these BIND Servers.  When the Internal BIND
  Server can't find an domain name it goes through the usual chain to get
the IP
  address, including for the external mycompany.com domain.  There are no, and
  can be no name clashes and it does everything you want.  It's clean, it
works,
  it does everything you want, and it is implemented today.

			Danny