chroot and logging

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 7 00:42:23 UTC 2000

You could log via syslogd and configure it to use the real /var/log.

Failing that, you could possibly make links from the real /var/log
pointing (or even hardlinking, if they are on the same filesystem) to
the chroot'ed /var/log logfiles; just don't try symlink'ing in the
opposite direction since chroot() affects symlink resolution as well.
This wouldn't get the files *out* of the chroot'ed area, of course, but
it would make them visible in other places, if that's your goal.

- Kevin