Bind 4 Master/Slave Config

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 7 03:00:56 UTC 2000

Wiffle Boy wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> Am running Bind 4 on OpenBSD.

Upgrade to BIND 8.2.2-p5.

> Have the Master DNS setup as Primary DNS for all my zones.
>
> Setting up slave DNS as secondary DNS for all zones.
>
> Question.
>
> In the NAMED.BOOT on the slave machine, I assume that I list all my
> domains with the Secondary keyword.
>
> Ex.
> Secondary    lek.com      208.231.187.50  ; IP address of Master
>
> Correct?
>
> If yes, what other keywords do I need in the NAMED.BOOT file to tell
> the slave DNS to check the Master on a regular basis?

What you have should be sufficient for that. However, you should really
supply a filename as an additional field in that definition, otherwise
named will have to download a new copy of the zone every time it
reloads/restarts, and if it reloads/restarts while the master is
unavailable, you'll be completely SOL until it comes back up again. When
you supply a filename, a slave copy of the zone is written to disk
whenever it changes, so that the slave can operate more autonomously.