Internal Machines and DNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Nov 9 04:49:32 UTC 2000

Depends on what protocols you're dealing with. SMTP has relaying
capabilities, so you can potentially play some games there by DNS-deluding
the relays. HTTP has the Host: header, which in DNS terms implies only
aliasing, but in web servers and proxies, lends itself to "virtual server"
tricks. But other protocols, like telnet, FTP, POP3, etc. don't have either
of those, so all you have to go on is the port on which the clients are
connecting. Looks like port forwarding may be your only choice for those.

- Kevin