does simultaneous DNS queries exist?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Nov 9 20:14:23 UTC 2000

I believe this is an implementation issue. If I'm not mistaken, BIND's
named sends these queries sequentially. Other implementations may send
the queries "simultaneously".

Of course, it's also possible to nitpick what you mean by
"simultaneously". You mean send out another query before the response to
the first one is received? Even BIND will do that if the first query
times out. If the answer to the first query then arrives after the
second query has been sent, but not answered, does this qualify as
"simultaneous" queries? Or do you mean that the query packets travel
along the wires at exactly the same time? A little hard to arrange if
you only have one network interface...

- Kevin