Multiple virtual sites on one IP address

Igmar Palsenberg maillist at chello.nl
Fri Nov 10 15:58:36 UTC 2000

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Jim Engle Jr wrote:

> I am about as green as you can get when it comes to NT 4.0 IIS. I know NT
> Server fairly  well. I have my default site working of the static IP address
> from my ISP and now I need to host several more sites. I'm told that I can
> use the one IP address to host multiple sites (i.e.  site1.com, site2.com
> etc...). I'm told I can do this with DNS but I haven't a clue how to go
> about it. Can you point me in the right direction? I have 3 sites that I
> want to host off this one IP address. I can either use the primary and
> secondary DNS servers from my ISP or host my own. Would also like to host my
> own but whatever is easier I'm game for.

I assume you know Bind, and some basic DNS stuff :

www.domain1.com		A 	1.1.1.1
www.domain2.com		A	1.1.1.1
www.domain3.com		A	1.1.1.1

This makes those 3 domain resolve to 1.1.1.1
Disadvantage is that they all have the same reverse.

Then tell IIS to use named based virtual hosts.

The magic is happening within the HTTP 1.1 protocol, no DNS magic
involved.

> Thanks a bunch.
>
> Jim - Omaha NE

	Igmar