subdomain entry problem

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Nov 11 01:44:20 UTC 2000

Tejal Shah wrote:

> I m maintaining our Primary and Secondary Nameserver, and also looking after the
> web hosting and mail servers.
> When we do subdomain the URLfor that is
> http://subdomain.mydomain.com >
> but if i want the URL like www.subdomain.mydomain.com
> then what are the required steps for that?

(I'm assuming that subdomain.mydomain.com and www.subdomain.mydomain.com should
ultimately resolve to the same IP address, right?).

Just add a name with one or more dots in it, e.g. in the "mydomain.com" zone file:

subdomain        in    a    1.2.3.4
www.subdomain    in    a    1.2.3.4

Note that in this case, you can even alias one of the names to the other, e.g.

subdomain        in    a    1.2.3.4
www.subdomain    in    cname     subdomain

-or-

subdomain        in    cname     www.subdomain
www.subdomain    in    a    1.2.3.4

It gets a little more complicated if you want to delegate a subdomain as a separate
zone, for performance/security/maintenance reasons. Among other things, in that
case your aliasing choices are more restricted, because the name of a zone can't
also be a CNAME (so you'd be able to alias www.subzone.mydomain.com to
subzone.mydomain.com, but not _vice_versa_).