second try.. no replies

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Sat Nov 11 08:45:29 UTC 2000

> Thanks for reading.

No thanks for not reading, yourself. This question comes up
in this forum several tinmes a week (if not a day).
Mark A and me answered a similar question only
yesterday. Lots can be learned by following the replies
to others' questions.. :-)

But see below.

> Zone miraboo.com:
>=20
> $TTL 86400
> miraboo.com.            IN  SOA miraboo.com.  root.nathan.net. (
>                          20000511        ; Serial
>                          10800           ; Refresh
>                          3600            ; Retry
>                          604800          ; Expire
>                          86400  )        ; Minimum
>=20
> miraboo.com.            IN  NS          dns1.miramat.com.
> @                       IN  NS          NS2.CENTRALINFO.NET.
>                          IN  A           209.204.28.46
> miraboo.com.            IN  MX  10      mailhost.miramat.com.
> localhost               IN  A           127.0.0.1
> miraboo.com.            IN  CNAME       www.miraboomusic.com.

You have above defined 'miraboo.com' with an SOA, 2 NS and 1 A and=20
1 MX record.
Thus, you are not allowed to have a CNAME with the label 'miraboo.com'
(or @ which means the same in this case) too like you are defining here. =

There must not be any other records for the same label as a CNAME
has (except SIG, NXT).
This is due to the way CNAMEs are handled. For details have a look
at the relevant RFCs (1034 and 1035, available from =
http://www.rfc-editor.org)

If you want web-traffic for miraboo.com.sg to go to
www.miraboomucis.com, use an A record pointing to their
webserver instead of a CNAME record. (You have an A record
already, is that the same IP address?)

(In the long term SRV records will make it easier to do these things
more flexibly, but currently there is a dictinct lack of SRV support
in most applications, eg web-browsers etc).

HTH HAND
mathias