CNAME and Round Robin

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Sun Nov 12 06:05:36 UTC 2000

You cannot have a CNAME and other data (other than
SIG and NXT) for the same label (left-hand-side).
-> you can only have 1 CNAME for one label.
There was an option that allowed multiple CNAMEs
in earlier versions of BIND, but it's considered
a BAD IDEA (and is no longer in BIND-9!)

Instead of using CNAMES for round-robin, use the
A records instead.

>=20
> ok, here is a different one. I have 2 www servers
> that have the same page. They also host SSL
> pages. I setup a round robin like this:
>=20
> www.omni-direct.com. IN A 167.213.107.36
> www.omni-direct.com. IN A 167.213.107.37
> and
> omni-direct.com. IN A 167.213.107.36
> omni-direct.com. IN A 167.213.107.37
>=20
> that works fine for non-SSL sessions. Users must
> maintain contact with the same server they got
> the SSL session with. With this DNS setup, that
> does not happen. A query returns 2 IP addresses,
> so the client changes back and forth. So I

It shouldn't. Once a client finds a working IP address
for a site, it should remember it and keep using it
until it stops working (or the application gets
shut down).

> changed to this:
>=20
> www.omni-direct.com. IN CNAME richux33.om-inc.com.
> www.omni-direct.com. IN CNAME richus34.om-inc.com.
>=20
> DNS querys return only 1 IP, and sessions stay
> connected to same server. The next request
> returns the other IP.
> That works great, but I can't CNAME the omni-
> direct.com. Any suggestions or work-arounds?
>=20

regards