Multiple DNS servers

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 14 01:04:44 UTC 2000

Sorry, you can't configure BIND to meet all of these requirements. The
*best* way, long term, is probably to set up subdomains and subzones.
Short of that, you could probably kludge some sort of
"synchronization" process which would grab the corporate version of the
domain, merge in your local entries and load the consolidated version
into your Netware servers. Another approach would be to convince
corporate to use Dynamic Update for all of their maintenance and to
authorize the remote locations to also update the same zone remotely via
Dynamic Update. Then your Netware boxes could just be simple slaves.
(This would of course violate your requirement that the corporate server
not resolve "remote" entries). I suspect a scheme like this wouldn't get
off the ground, given the political realities you hinted at...

- Kevin